I posted a picture of the Cheeseburger soup I cooked last night on Instagram and it was a hit. I had a lot of requests asking for the recipe so I figured I would share it here as well! I have to say it was delicious!! Even the children approved and it helped us get warm on these chilly nights we’ve been having!
I did do a couple of things different from the actual recipe called for. I used canned potatoes and carrots instead of fresh because I didn’t have any on hand. The husband isn’t a huge celery fan and I did not have any of that either so I stirred in a can of cream of celery instead which made it so yum!! One of my favorite soups I have cooked in a while and so easy! Hope y’all enjoy as much as we did!
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 4 TBSP butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 3/4 lbs (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. (16 oz) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In same saucepan, melt 1 tbsp of butter. Add onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour, cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup, bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.