I love any holiday that gives me an excuse to entertain or make sweets! The kids stayed home from school last Thursday thanks to one little boy who had a 103 degree fever, so we decided to make some Valentines Day treats! We made Birthday cake Krispie treats, peanut butter puppy chow, birthday cake puppy chow and some beautiful chocolate dipped pretzel bites!!
To make the birthday cake Krispie treats:
- You’re going to use the rice Krispie recipe on the side of the box. All you need to do it add 1 cup of Funfetti cake mix to the cereal before mixing it into butter/marshmallow mixture!
- Nonpareils (optional)~ any color.. we used all colors!
- Almond bark white melting chocolate
- red food coloring
Make your butter and marshmallow mixture as you usually would. I do mine on the stove top. While that is melting, mix your cake mix into the krispies and make sure they are coated good. Spray your dish with nonstick spray or rub butter (this makes it taste better;). Melt your white chocolate and pour into the bottom of your dish. Sprinkle the white chocolate with a good layer of nonpareils. When marshmallows and butter are melted, stir krispies in and add a little food coloring to make them pink!! Scoop on top of white chocolate and sprinkles. Now dip your hands in butter, coat them good and mash those treats down into the chocolate! Let sit overnight or until chocolate is completely dry. Cut and enjoy some beautifully decorated treats!
Birthday Cake puppy chow
- 1 cup funfetti cake mix
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 cups of rice chex cereal ( I might have used more than this. I’m an “eye” baker instead of measurer so just add until all chocolate is used)
- 1/2 Bar of the big almond bark white chocolate bar (6 of the squares)
Put sugar and funfetti in gallon bag. Melt white chocolate in a big bowl. Pour Chex and marshmallows in and coat really good! If there’s still more chocolate left on the bottom just add more chex, marshmallows or anything else you want! After you have yummy white chocolate all over those goodies, dump those suckers into the bag! Shake, shake, shake (this part is great to involve the kiddos in). Dump out onto wax paper. Eat and enjoy!!
For the peanut butter puppy chow-
Just add a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter to your melted chocolate!!
White Chocolate Dipped pretzels
- Pretzel squares
- White chocolate
- Pink “sparkly” sprinkles (as Jocelynn would say)
- Valentines Nonpareils
Pour sprinkles into bowls so pretzels can be easily dipped into them. Melt chocolate. Dip half of the pretzel into chocolate and then into sprinkles. Lay on wax paper until dry. Set out and let everyone enjoy! These are so easy and yummy!